Camp counselors receive room and board, as well as a stipend. Counselors report for orientation on Sunday and assist through camp dismissal on Thursday evening).
- Managing the students on outings to hospitals/clinics/schools etc., keeping them on time, reminding them to act professionally etc.
- Interacting with students, answering questions, developing a trusting relationship with students
- Making presentations to campers about your experiences (choosing the right college, how to study for college tests, etc.)
- Attending all scheduled activities and supervising students during these activities
- Assisting with team building activities on the first day
- Staying in dorms with students, enforcing curfews, providing nightly activities
- Basic first aid if necessary
- Assisting with camp set up on Sunday before campers arrive
- Assisting with registration and orientation activities
- Co-leading daily check-in meetings
- Transportation assistance: Madison, Lakeshore, LaCrosse – act as driver (mini-vans are used to transport students; counselors will need valid driver authorization.) Fox Valley – help usher students on and off of buses
How to apply:
To apply for a counselor position at a Health Careers Camp, send the following information to the camp director of the camp you are interested in:
- completed online application (links are specific to each camp)
- two letters of reference (references can be from a college instructor, school representative, and/or employer)
- your resume
If you have any questions or would like more information about this program, please contact the director of the camp that interests you.
Scenic Rivers AHEC has camps based in their Northern (La Crosse area) and Southern (Platteville area) regions. The Camp Director is Bob Matysik and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: 608/487-5252. See the Scenic Rivers AHEC website for additional details.
The Madison Camp is based on the Edgewood College campus and directed by Kari Steck, South Central AHEC. Ms. Steck may be reached by phone at 608/445-9477 or by email at email@example.com
The Fox Valley Area Camp is based on the UW Oshkosh campus and directed by Brenda Birringer, Northeast Wisconsin AHEC. Ms. Birringer may be reached by phone at 920/652-0238 or by email at Brendab@newahec.org. The camp counselor application will be linked from the NEWAHEC website camp page when it goes live; here is a PDF of the counselor application for you to preview.
The Lakeshore Camp is based on the Silver Lake College and directed by Brenda Birringer, Northeast Wisconsin AHEC. Ms. Birringer may be reached by phone at 920/652-0238 or by email at Brendab@newahec.org. The camp counselor application will be linked from the NEWAHEC website camp page when it goes live; here is a PDF of the counselor application for you to preview.
The Ladysmith/Rice Lake Camp will stay at Mount Senario, and is directed by Jackie Pedersen, Northwest WI AHEC. Ms. Pedersen may be reached by phone at 715-562-6755, or see additional details on the Northwest WI AHEC website.
The Marshfield Clinic/Stevens Point camp is coordianted by the North Central Wisconsin AHEC. For additional information, please visit the NCAHEC health careers camp website at: